With healthy wild-caught salmon and fresh naturally-grown vegetables, these tasty little patties/cakes are the perfect answer to the question, “What’s for (meatless) dinner tonight?”
adapted from a recipe by Cassie Johnston for the Splendid Table
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ lbs. skinless salmon, poached and flaked*
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (e.g., Old Bay)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Melt the butter in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the salmon, using a fork, until no large pieces remain. Add the onion mixture, parsley, capers, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, mustard, eggs, and panko. Mix together until well combined. Form into 12 patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cakes and cook until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve these with fresh lemon wedges!
*Cook’s Note: Try Wild Alaska Salmon & Seafood’s salmon burger meat in this recipe. You won’t have to remove the skin, and you can saute the meat briefly in a skillet rather than poaching it.
You might also want to whip up a tasty sauce consisting of 1 part mayo to 1 part plain Greek yogurt with lemon juice and dill. Yum!