It’s that time of the year when we love all things pumpkin. It’s also when the weather turns cooler. Perfect for a creamy tasty soup to warm you up with a little crunch to make you smile.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
recipe by Judy Kim for Delish
- 3 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 c. pumpkin purée*
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. honey
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 slices bread
- slices Swiss or other cheese
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil; sauté garlic and onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, broth, heavy cream, and honey and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat and melt remaining butter for a silky consistency, then cover with lid and keep warm.
- Preheat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Spread each piece of bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise and place in skillet, mayonnaise-side down. Top with layers of gruyère and cover with remaining bread. Cook until golden brown, flipping as needed. Cover skillet to melt cheese. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each grilled cheese into 8 pieces.
- Divide soup into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
*click here for the recipe to make homemade pumpkin puree using fresh pumpkins from the Market!
For plenty more pumpkin recipes, visit our recipe archive.