You need to take advantage of plum season to enjoy the rich sweet taste of gorgeous plums in this savory recipe with pork, onion, and fresh peppery arugula. It’s a true seasonal meal from the Market!
Grilled Pork Chops with Plums, Red Onions, and Arugula
recipe by Anna Watson Carl for Delish
- 2 8- to 10-oz. boneless pork chops, halved lengthwise to make 4 chops
- 1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 plums, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 6 c. baby arugula
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- Arrange pork chops in a glass baking dish and pour over 1/2 cup red wine vinegar. Let marinate while you prep.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add plums and onion and cook, stirring until beginning to soften, 5 minutes, then add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and continue cooking until golden, 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill or grill pan over high heat. Remove pork from red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Grill pork chops 4 minutes, then flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together Dijon and remaining tablespoon red wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, then add arugula and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon plum mixture over grilled pork chops and garnish with thyme. Serve with arugula salad. Makes 4 servings.
This is a really quick and easy supper that’s incredibly delicious and super seasonal. I guarantee you’ll remember it in the dead of winter and be waiting anxiously for next summer’s plum season to savor it again!
Don’t forget to check our recipe for more delicious plum recipes and take a look around the Market for prepared and ready-to-eat foods using plums while they’re in season.