Eggplants are a great meaty way to go vegetarian once a week or all the time. Add a few other delicious ingredients from the Market and you’ve got a satisfying and super tasty meal.
Penne with Tomatoes, Eggplant, and Mozzarella
recipe by Kate Merker & Sara Quessenberry for Real Simple
- 1/2 pound penne or other pasta (8 oz.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1⁄4 pounds), cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, red pepper, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, tossing, until the tomatoes soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pasta, along with the mozzarella and reserved cooking water. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with the mint. Serves 4.
You can really substitute any pasta you like for the penne and go from there. Pick any of the many varieties of eggplant and some fabulously colorful cherry tomatoes and add fresh garlic, mozzarella, and mint leaves and you’ll have a fresh healthy meal that can’t be beat.
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more great eggplant recipes.