One of the most refreshing things you can have on a hot day is some cool melon. Now add to that delicious cheese, tasty tomato, and fresh basil, and you’ve made something truly special!
Tomato, Pickled Melon and Burrata Salad
recipe by Susan Spungen for Bon Appetit
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 lb. Cantaloupe and/or Honeydew melon, rind removed, sliced into thin “rounds”
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
- 12 ounces fresh burrata or mozzarella, torn
- Olive oil (for drizzling)
- Fresh basil leaves (for serving)
- Flaky sea salt
- Combine vinegar, kosher salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, and 2 Tbsp. water in a large bowl; add melon and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
- Remove melon from pickling liquid and arrange on a platter with tomato and burrata. Drizzle with oil and some pickling liquid, top with basil, and season with sea salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings.
Do Ahead: Melon can be pickled 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Cook’s Note: A medium cantaloupe is about 3 lbs. and 1 lb. of cantaloupe equals about 1 1/2 cups.
This is such a fabulous salad to go with grilling or other al fresco dining. It has so many late summer fresh fruits, herbs, & cheeses – it just sings FRESH!
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more recipes with melons.