I love the tartness of rhubarb and the tang of ginger paired with something creamy or crunchy and just a little bit sweet. The color is beautiful too with ruby red and spring green playing nicely together. It makes for a perfect seasonal dessert.
Slow Roasted Rhubarb
Recipe by Lily Freedman for Bon Appetit
- 12 ounces rhubarb, sliced on a diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Ice cream or shortbread (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rhubarb and ginger in an 8×8″ baking dish; scatter sugar over and scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; save pod for another use. Toss and let sit until rhubarb releases some juices, 20–25 minutes.
- Roast rhubarb, tossing once, until tender and juices are syrupy, 20–25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Serves four, over ice cream or shortbread.
This would be great on your favorite Lick Ice Cream with an Amelia’s brownie, or liven up your breakfast by topping a Walking Waffle.
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more great rhubarb recipes.
Talk to the vendors who have rhubarb for sale. They tend to have some wonderful recipes and ideas about preparing the produce they grow.