One of the big food trends I’ve been reading about for 2018 is air frying. You may have received an air fryer for Christmas; or maybe you’re thinking of getting one so you can cut calories or just so you can eat more healthily. You’re in good company and there are now lots of recipes for using air fryers and air crisper trays as an alternative to frying foods in oil.
For example, French fries are a favorite with everyone – and hard to give up even though deep fried potatoes are definitely not a healthy choice. Here are a couple of recipe for fries — without the frying!
recipe from The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence
- 2 to 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch sticks
- 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into ¼-inch strips (a mandolin with a julienne blade is really helpful here)
- Rinse the potatoes with cold water several times an let them soak in cold water for at least 10 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 380ºF.
- Drain and dry the potato sticks really well, using a clean kitchen towel. Toss the fries with the oil in a bowl and then air fry in two batches at 380ºF for 15 minutes, shaking the basket a couple of times during the cooking time.
- Add the first batch of French fries back into the air fryer basket with the finishing batch and let everything warm through for a few minutes. As soon as the fries are done, season them with salt and transfer them to a plate. Serve with ketchup or your favorite dip. Makes 2 servings.
For more air fryer recipes from The Blue Jean Chef, click here.
My husband and I did not get an air fryer for Christmas, but we did get a crisper tray. We’re looking forward to using it to make healthier oven-fried alternatives to some of our favorite dishes.
Perfect Air Crisper Tray French Fries
from Air Crisper Tray Recipes at Gotham Steel
- 3-4 russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes. Cut into fries and soak in a large mixing bowl using hot tap water, rinse, repeat, several times for 40 minutes.
- Drain in colander and pat them dry on a towel.
- Place them in dry mixing bowl, coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil and fresh ground pepper and pink salt.
- Place them in the air crisper pan.
- Cook for five minutes. Toss with two silicone spoons.
- Raise heat to 400 degrees. Cook ten more minutes or until done to your desired crispness.
For more crisper-tray recipes from Pinterest, click here.
Try some smoked salts from Circle City Salt on your healthy no-fry fries!