Strawberry season has begun. Sweet juicy berries are so very good when they are fresh and in-season, and now is the perfect time to take pleasure in this annual gift of nature.
Strawberry Salad with Warm Goat Cheese Croutons
adapted from a recipe by Southern Living
- 2 (4-oz.) goat cheese logs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Strawberry-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Garnish: dill sprigs
- Cut each goat cheese log into 4 rounds. Gently press each round to 1/2-inch thickness on a baking sheet, and freeze 20 minutes.
- Place the flour in a small bowl. Whisk together the egg and milk in a second small bowl. Combine the panko, salt, and pepper in a third small bowl. Dredge goat cheese rounds in flour, dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture until coated. Place on a plate, and chill until all goat cheese rounds are breaded.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium until hot. Add goat cheese rounds to skillet, and cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes total. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To serve, arrange salad greens on a serving platter; top with strawberries, cucumber, onion, and goat cheese croutons. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and garnish with dill sprigs. Serves 6.
Cook’s Note: If you’re not a fan of goat cheese (gasp — there are a few of them out there) you could easily use another cheese of your choice, like mozzarella. And it doesn’t have to be rounds, it could easily be cubes instead.
There are so many wonderful strawberry recipes in our archives. Take a look here.