There are all kinds of lucky food traditions around the world to attract health, wealth, happiness, and longevity in the year ahead. We have a favorite recipe in our family that combines all of the above in one delicious dish!
Grandma ‘s Favorite Stir-Fry
- 1 pork tenderloin whole (approx.. ¾ lb.)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 ¼ teaspoons minced fresh ginger or
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons oil
- ½ bunch broccoli (bite-size pieces)
- ½ lb. mushrooms sliced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- With knife held in slanting position, almost parallel to cutting surface, cut pork tenderloin cross-wise into 1/8-inch slices. In medium bowl, mix next five ingredients. Add pork slices and let marinate.
- In 12” skillet or wok, over high heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil. Cook broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, and salt, stirring quickly and frequently until vegetables are coated. Add water and continue to stir-fry until vegetables are tender-crisp. Spoon onto a warm platter.
- In same skillet over high heat, add 2 more tablespoons of oil; cook pork mixture until it loses pink color, 2-3 minutes, stirring quickly. Return vegetables to the pan and stir to heat through.
- Serve over cooked soba (buckwheat) noodles or fluffy rice.
Cook’s Note: You can easily add to this dish – ingredients like green onions, or leafy greens like spinach and chard, would make good additions. Some chopped garlic in the marinade is also nice.
The pork with its rich flavor and lovely fat denotes happiness. The green of the broccoli symbolizes paper money and the round golden carrot slices represent coins. Ginger and mushrooms are both frequently used medicinally, and so they stand for health. And the soba noodles are for longevity – the longer the better!
Here’s wishing everyone health, wealth, happiness, and longevity in 2017!