Cauliflower isn’t just for dipping or steaming anymore. There are dozens of new ways to prepare this cruciferous wonder from fried rice to sloppy joes. Valuable for vegans and great for gluten-free, it’s the new rice/potato/bread substitute – and a great way to get your kids to eat vegetables!
Here’s a dish to wow your friends and family with your culinary expertise, but it’s really very simple!
Spicy Whole-Roasted Cauliflower
from Pure Wow
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. (Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a big green salad. Serves six.
I don’t know about you, but I’m impressed! Your kids may not be though. Here are some ideas to made cauliflower-filled dishes super appealing to the pickiest eaters!