Here’s what you do:
- Using a spoon, scrape the pulp and seeds into a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Separate the seeds from the stringy pulp, rinse them in a colander under cold water, then shake dry. Don’t blot with paper towels; the seeds will stick.
- Lay them out on parchment paper and let air-dry for about 10 minutes. Add one of the following flavor combinations, then roast for 8-10 minutes.
- Classic Flavor: lightly coat with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Fiery: toss oven-dried seeds with cayenne and smoked paprika.
- Pumpkin Pie: coat the seeds with a mixture of cinnamon, ground mace, ground ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Italian: mix rosemary, shredded parmesan, red pepper flakes, and granulated garlic, then toss to coat.
- Chocolate: toss with a mixture of cocoa powder, orange zest, and powdered sugar.
– from the Food Network