Broccoli is a favorite at our house. It figures in a number of dishes from salads to stir-fries and casseroles to quiches. And with cooler weather just beginning, broccoli is in full season and at its best!
This dish makes a great side with meat, or a tasty vegetarian treat all by itself!
Broccoli and Pepper Stir-Fry
by Dawn Perry for Real Simple
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (6 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the bell pepper, broccoli, and scallions and cook, tossing often, until the broccoli is crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce and ¼ cup water and cook, tossing, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Here are more brilliant recipes for broccoli, including some ideas for using those broccoli stems!