Nothing I know is as refreshing as a chilled watermelon. And you can add that refreshing sweet deliciousness to these tasty dishes with other good things from the Market!
This weekend we’ll be celebrating Labor Day with cookouts and barbecues. Add watermelon to the menu in a brand new way!
Grilled Watermelon Pizza
from Cooking Light
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (3/4-inch-thick) slice seedless watermelon (from a 9-inch-diameter watermelon)
- 1 ounce creamy blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until onion is softened, tossing occasionally. Combine 2 teaspoons brining liquid and 2 teaspoons olive oil, stirring with a whisk. Drain onion, and discard remaining liquid.
- Brush olive oil mixture onto both sides of watermelon slice. Grill watermelon 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until well-marked and juicy; place on a serving platter or cutting board. Top the watermelon with pickled onions, blue cheese, and pecans. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
Watermelon is a natural for salads and beverages in the summer. Or go for something a little unusual with watermelon in a beef stir-fry!