As summer gets underway, zucchini is in high season. This versatile vegetable can be prepared so many different ways and pairs beautifully with other seasonal produce to make some spectacular summer dishes!
I’ve been fascinated lately with the hasselback effect – commonly used on potatoes. Here it’s applied to zucchini which are the perfect shape for the simple but impressive treatment. It’s an easy side to pair with meats on the grill or as part of a great veggie-centric meal!
Garlic-Parmesan Hasselback Zucchini
from Eating Well
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 small zucchini (about 1 pound total)
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese, large pieces broken in half
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Make crosswise cuts every ½ inch along each zucchini, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through*. Gently fan the zucchini to open the cuts wider and place a small piece of Parmesan into each cut. Brush the oil mixture over the top.
- Place the zucchini on a double layer of foil and grill, without turning, until browned and tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Makes 4 servings
* For a video showing how to do the hasselback cuts, click here.
In my family, we love zucchini with the flavors of tomato, onion, cheese and herbs. Zucchini pie is one of our favorites! There are a million great ways to cook with zucchini – these are just a few: