Who wouldn’t love a delicious dinner for two to celebrate Valentine’s Day? Or celebrate any ordinary day with someone special by making a meal good enough to inspire love!
Grilled Steak with Beets & Radiccio
from Eating Well
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese, or feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar, or champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small head radicchio, halved, cored and each half quartered
- 1/2 lb. of beets steamed and cut into large cubes (or use whole baby beets)
- 8 ounces New York strip (loin) steak, trimmed and cut into 2 portions
Preheat grill to high.
- Place cheese in a medium bowl and mash it with the back of a spoon until creamy. Add vinegar, dry mustard, shallot, parsley, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in 2 teaspoons oil and whisk until blended.
- Thread radicchio chunks and beets onto skewers and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Rub steaks with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. Season the steaks and skewered vegetables with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Grill the vegetable skewers, turning frequently, until the radicchio is wilted and lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a plate; let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skewers. Serve steaks and vegetables with the sauce.
If steak is not your thing, maybe one of the dinners below will fill your bill of fare for two. Or consider trying bison as a lean alternative to beef.