As a mom, I was always trying to get vegetables, particularly green ones, into my children’s meals. With broccoli, I didn’t even have to try — they loved it! And they still do!
Portobello, Broccoli, and Red Pepper Melts
from Martha Stewart Living
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets (stalk discarded)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms (stems removed), sliced 1/2 inch thick (see Shamrock Farm at the Market)
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss broccoli with oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, tossing once or twice, until broccoli begins to char, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers to sheet; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Broil, tossing once or twice, until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Place bread on a work surface. Dividing evenly, spread with mayonnaise mixture, and top with vegetables, then cheese. Place on baking sheet, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Here are some more broccoli recipes my sons would love! I’m particularly excited to try the Vegetable Satay!