Have you noticed all of the beautiful bell peppers at the Market? They come in so many different gorgeous colors! And they make an amazing addition to your menu too!
In this recipe from our friends Alex and Sonja Overhiser — A Couple Cooks, as in the other recipes linked below, you can substitute any color bell pepper you like. I encourage you to experiment with the beautiful colored peppers available and see what you like for both visual appeal and taste. All bell peppers are sweet, but they each have a unique and subtly different flavor profile.
Grilled Vegetable Fajitas
by a Couple Cooks
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 portabella mushroom
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning (spice blend, not prepackaged packet with additives), divided
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grill pan, if possible
- Wash the peppers, and clean the dirt from the portabella mushroom. Slice the peppers, onion, and mushroom into strips (if not using a grill pan or basket, chop into larger pieces). Mince 3 cloves garlic; separate and set aside 1 clove.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegetables with 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt (decrease the salt if the fajita seasoning contains salt).
- Drain and rinse the beans, and place them on a square of aluminum foil. Mix the beans with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the other clove diced garlic, 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Fold up the sides of the foil to form a square packet.
- Heat a grill to medium high. Place the vegetables in a grill pan and grill for about 10 minutes, until tender, turning occasionally. (If not using a grill pan, place larger vegetable pieces directly onto the grill.)
- When the vegetables are nearly done, place the bean packet on the grill to warm the beans, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables and bean packet from the grill, and serve with tortillas and garnish with sour cream. Serves 4.