During the holidays, friends and family will probably be gathering at your home to celebrate the season. You need to be prepared to whip up some delicious dips for entertaining or just sitting around and snacking. You may even have some of these ingredients on hand from the last Market! If not, many of our wonderful BRFM vendors are participating in various winter markets around the area.
Here is a starter with onions and raw vegetables that can be obtained from some of our produce vendors at the IWFF or the JCC, bacon directly from Royer Farm Fresh Meats or Phelps Family Farm, and potato chips from the Amazing Chip Company which is located at the City Market.
Caramelized Onion and Bacon Dip with Potato Chips and Crudite
from Martha Stewart Living
4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds yellow onions, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- For serving: potato chips, celery, carrots, or other raw vegetables
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered out. Drain bacon, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions and salt. Cook onions over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and deep golden in color, about 1 hour. Add water if needed. Add the vinegar in the last minute of cooking. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onions, and bacon.
- Add vegetable oil to the skillet with bacon fat. Reheat on medium-high until the oil shimmers. Add the shallots, lower the heat, and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Drain, and garnish dip with fried shallots.
Dipping is such fun! And you can dip almost any kind of chip, cracker, toast, fruit or vegetable you desire! That makes all of these recipes highly customizable to the tastes of you family and guests so that you can be the hit of the holidays!