Take a stroll through the Market from late July through October, and you are likely to find a wide range of beautiful and delicious eggplant varieties. Some look like the classic aubergine; and some look positively other-worldly! Rosa biancas, fairy tales, chu chu, black beauty, and more at multiple vendor booths — delight the eye and potentially the palate. Now all you need are the recipes to enjoy healthy, tasty, seasonal, eggplant!
Roasted Eggplants with Herbs
from Cooking Light
- 4 small eggplants (about 13 ounces)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cut each eggplant into 1/4-inch slices, cutting to, but not through, stem end. Fan eggplants, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush 1 1/2 tablespoons oil evenly over eggplant slices. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes; remove from oven. Press eggplants gently to fan slices. Brush eggplants with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until flesh is tender and edges are browned and slightly crisp.
- Drizzle remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil evenly over eggplants; sprinkle with herbs. Makes 4 servings.
The presentation with the fanned-out eggplant is so cool! Don’t forget to check our recipe archives for classics like ratatouille and eggplant parmesan. But first, take a look at this exciting eggplant lineup I have come up with, just for you!