The peaches at the Market have been incredible this year! Sweet, juicy, and delicious; they make a perfect ingredient in some of the most wonderful summer dishes imaginable.
This recipe makes a beautiful presentation for guests and it’s tasty too! I’m thinking you could purchase pulled pork from Royer and press out excess sauce; and you could even skip the rice paper and simply wrap your filling in the lettuce leaves. The Sweet Peanut Sauce sounds delicious, but you could experiment with other dipping sauces as well.
Barbecue-Peach Summer Rolls
from Southern Living
- Hot water
- 12 to 16 (8- to 9-inch) round rice paper sheets
- 2 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 to 16 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 large ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 pound shredded barbecued pork (without sauce), warm
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups torn fresh mint, cilantro, and basil
- Sweet Pepper-Peanut Sauce
- Pour hot water to depth of 1 inch into a large shallow dish. Dip 1 rice paper sheet in hot water briefly to soften (about 15 to 20 seconds). Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place softened rice paper on a flat surface. Place 1 or 2 peach slices in center of rice paper; top with 1 lettuce leaf, 2 cucumber strips, 1 avocado slice, about 3 Tbsp. pork, 3 or 4 apple strips, and 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. herbs. Fold sides over filling, and roll up, burrito style. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter. Cover with damp paper towels to keep from drying out.
- Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper and filling ingredients. Serve with Sweet Pepper-Peanut Sauce.
Note: Look for rice paper rounds in the international aisle or at Asian markets.
Volunteer Leslie Snoke brought the pizza recipe below to our attention, saying it was incredible! I have tried to give you here a wide variety of unique recipes featuring ripe peaches and other fresh local items you can find at the Market. I have seen cooking shows where accomplished chefs prepare pork belly. It is not easy to find, but they say it is well worth the effort.
Freezer Peach Jam
Corn Bread Shortcake with Ham and Fresh Peach Salsa
Grilled Peaches with Blackberry Basil Butter
Stone Fruit Slaw
Peach Salad with Tomatoes and Beets
Three Cheese Peach Prosciutto Pizza with Basil Honey Balsamic Reduction
Roasted Pork Belly with Late Harvest Peaches and Arugula