Guys are notorious for their love of grilling and (most of them) for their love of meat! For Fathers Day this year, why not do something different than the run-of-the-mill steaks or burgers. The Market has some wonderful alternatives that will please the most discerning dad and make mom and the rest of the family pretty happy too!
Grilled Bratwurst Skewers
adapted from a recipe by Ballpark Bob for Man Tested Recipes
These skewers are easy to make and grill. They can be made ahead and kept in a cooler if you’re going to be cooking them on the beach or at a tailgate. They are great to make for an easy camping dinner too. Substitute any vegetables you like that are in season.
- 6 (10″) bamboo skewers, soaked for 30 min.
- 16 ounces of bratwurst or other sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces (I recommend the jalapeno bratwurst from Royer Farm Fresh Meats for this one)
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (or use smaller hot or mild peppers of your choice)
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint button mushrooms, cleaned (and/or cherry tomatoes)
- 2 cups barbeque sauce, or basting sauce of your choice
- Start by soaking your skewers in water while you cut up your vegetables.
- Put the skewers together, alternating the veggies with the bratwurst pieces. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Preheat the grill for medium heat.
- Cook the skewers on the grill until the vegetables are tender and the sausage hot.
- Baste with BBQ sauce after the skewers have cooked for 5 minutes, then once more just before they come off the grill.
- Makes 6 skewers.
Or try one of these delicious dishes to delight your dad! There is something here for every taste, including vegetarian!
Grill-Roasted Beer Can Chicken – for your charcoal grill
Backyard Baby Back Ribs – real he-man food!
Beer Battered Fish – substitute perch for cod in this one
Mediterranean Grilled Pizza – great for healthy vegetarian dads
(see this week’s vendor profile for a link to a fabulous grilled duck breast sandwich recipe)