Memorial Day weekend makes me think of picnics with checkered tablecloths, church socials, parades honoring fallen heroes, and red white and blue bunting and flags on front porches and light poles throughout towns large and small across Indiana. If you are planning your own family picnic this weekend, what could be better to fill your basket than a healthy meal using what is in season now at the Market, including fresh asparagus!
Mixed Green Salad with Asparagus Vinaigrette
- a mixture of all your favorite greens from the Market (arugula, mizuna, komatsuna, spinach, leaf lettuce, butter lettuce — your choice) as many as you like
- one bunch of fresh radishes, washed and sliced thin
- several spring onions, sliced
- two fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 2-3 hard-cooked farm fresh eggs, (optional)
- chopped herbs for flavoring, like parsley, purslane, pea shoots, etc.
- asparagus vinaigrette to top (see link below for recipe)
- Trim and wash all of your greens and pat or spin dry. Place in a large bowl.
- Wash and prep your radishes and onions and sprinkle over the lettuces.
- Hard-cook the eggs (click here for directions), chop and sprinkle over the top.
- Chop herbs and sprinkle over the eggs on top.
- Prepare asparagus vinaigrette and pour into a container to add to the salad when you are ready to toss and serve it. (How about a lovely loaf of fresh artisan bread to accompany your salad?)
I have seen lots of Memorial Day menus on the internet lately, but they all seemed to include ingredients that are not currently available here. Strawberries have not come in yet, nor have blueberries or blackberries, no corn or summer squash and few tomatoes as yet. Those ingredients are nice, but healthy local and organic/chemical-free means seasonal; and every year is different depending on where you are in the country. This year we currently have an abundance of asparagus, greens, herbs, and eggs; and a reasonable supply of rhubarb, onions, and radishes. We have vendors with a wide variety of meats, pasta, and oils & vinegars.
Oven-Fried Chicken (a healthy version of a picnic classic)
Asparagus Vinaigrette (for your mixed green salad)
Asparagus Pesto (toss with pasta for a quick side dish)
Asparagus Pickles (excellent finger food)
Rhubarb Crumb Bars (paired with ice cream for dessert)