Cooking with real maple syrup (especially Burton’s Maplewood Farm syrup) has become a trend with chefs in some of the finest restaurants across the country. So why not make like a trendy chef yourself and try this delicious breakfast bread for your next Sunday brunch to wow your family or your guests! And for more Maplewood Kitchen recipes, just click here.
Maple Glazed Breakfast Bread
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs (from Schachts Farm)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (from Burton’s)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (from Ludwig Farmstead or Trader’s Point)
- 1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled (from Smoking Goose)
- 1/4 cup minced chives (check with Harvestland Farm)
Ingredients For the Glaze:
- 6 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the milk and heat to 110F. Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes; then whisk in the eggs.
- Pour the flour, maple syrup, and baking soda into the egg mixture and beat on low until you have a stiff batter. Stir in the cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan and spread the batter into it. Cover and let rise for about 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the loaf for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool.
- While the bread is cooling, make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the confectioner’s sugar and the maple syrup until smooth.
- Pour the maple glaze over the cooled loaf.
This hearty breakfast bread is a wonderful combination of sweet and savory. The bacon adds a richness that is enhanced by the cheddar cheese, while the sweet maple glaze is a delicate complement. On top of being satisfying and delicious, it’s incredibly easy to make and keeps very well for subsequent meals.