One of the best things about summer is biting into a wedge of fresh, cold, melon! Nothing else is so refreshing or clean tasting, and lightly sweet too! The following is a great recipe for a summer cookout appetizer that will really impress your guests with its sophisticated flavors and yet it’s a breeze to prepare.
Melon, Manchego, and Serrano Skewers
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma New Flavors for Appetizers, by Amy Sherman
- 1 1/4 lb. seedless watermelon (and/or cantaloupe)
- 1/2 lb. Serrano ham, thinly sliced (try Tasso or Lomo from Smoking Goose)
- 5 oz. Manchego cheese (try Ludwig’s Feather Ridge or Traders Point Fleur de la Terre)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut the melon flesh away from the rind. Discard the rind and cut the flesh into 1-inch cubes. Cut the ham into thin strips about 1/2 inch wide. Trim the rind off the cheese and discard. Cut the cheese into thin squares to fit the top of the watermelon cubes.
- To assemble the skewers, place a piece of cheese on top of a watermelon cube, and then carefully top with 1 or 2 folded strips of ham. Secure each bite with a cocktail pick.
- To serve, arrange the skewers on a platter, grind pepper generously over the top and drizzle a drop or two of olive oil over each piece. Serve immediately. Makes about 40 skewers; serves 10 to 12.
Here is a batch of fantastic melon recipes to cool down your summer days and brighten up your summer nights. There is something here for everyone!
Watermelon Gazpacho – not your grandma’s gazpacho!
Melon Berry Bowls – try Circle City Sweets granola with this recipe!
– Smoking Goose duck prosciutto would be great in this!
Cantaloupe and Honeydew Gelatin – make it a day ahead!
Watermelon Wedge Salad – unique and delicious!
– with pears, peaches, apples, and hot peppers, this is Market-perfect for right now!
Cantaloupe Yogurt Drink – use Wildflower Ridge raw honey!