The peaches at the Market have been so sweet and juicy! I just had to search out some recipes to make use of them! Here is one that is so quick and easy, it is perfect for a delightful summer dessert for your next dinner party, or any time!
Southern Living, June 2006
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 pounds fresh peaches, peeled and chopped (about 7 cups)
- 1 pt. fresh blueberries
- 1/2 (14-oz.) angel food cake, cubed (about 6 cups)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a small non-aluminum saucepan over medium-low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. (Mixture should lightly coat the back of a spoon.) Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a small mixing bowl, and place plastic wrap directly over surface of custard to prevent film from forming; chill 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- Layer fruit and cake in 8 mason jars or tall glasses. Drizzle each with 1/4 cup vanilla sauce. Garnish, if desired. Makes 8 servings.