Pasta is one of the most popular foods in the world and a quick solution to what to fix for supper tonight. With a little imagination and your Market basket full of fresh produce, you can turn out delicious, healthful meals in a matter of minutes. It’s the perfect way to wrap up an action-packed summer day and meet all your family’s nutritional needs!
Green Vegetable Sauce
from The Cook’s Encyclopedia of Pasta
- 2 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 3 ounces of green beans
- 1 small leek well washed
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen or fresh peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dice the carrots and the zucchini finely. Trim the grean beans, then cut them into 3/4 inch lengths. Slice the leek thinly. Peel and dice the tomatoes. Chop the parsley and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan. When the mixture sizzles, add the prepared leek and carrots. Sprinkle the sugar over and fry, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, green beans, peas, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low to medium heat for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley and chopped tomatoes and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve at once tossed with freshly cooked pasta of your choice. Serves 4.
Whether you purchase boxed pasta at the grocery store, make your own, or try some of Nicole-Taylor’s delicious egg-free pastas from the Market, these fresh sauces will help you get your daily requirement of vegetables with ease and flavor!