Hot, sweltering summer days call for cool dishes that don’t heat up your kitchen. In addition to grilling, that generally means fruits and vegetables are used in raw form, which is wonderfully healthy for you too. A classic cold soup that uses a wide variety of summer vegetables is Gazpacho. Here is my favorite version using as much fresh produce from the Market as possible. It is so simple to just chop the vegetables, combine everything in one bowl and chill — you and the soup!
- 3 cups tomato juice (or use low sodium V-8)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup each of chopped celery, cucumber,
- bell pepper, and green onion (I’ve also added zucchini or corn if I have them)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. It gets even better after a couple of days. Serve cold. Very tasty and refreshing alongside a grilled steak or all by itself!
For more simple, no-cook recipes, just click on the links and stay beat the heat!